1) Youths Organization For International Volunteers
Youths Organization for International Volunteers (“Youths Organization”) is a non governmental, non partisan and non profit making organization. Its goal is to offer services to the Kenyan community, through volunteering, that target and address the most serious issues affecting our community: HIV/AIDS, health care and nutrition, environmental conservation, child rights (including the rights of orphans, street children and other vulnerable children), gender based violence, sustainable agriculture, home based care, teaching and training amongst others.
Youths Organization is a true grass roots organization. We work on the ground across Kenya to alleviate human crisis - in slums, I.D.P (internally displaced persons) camps, churches, schools, orphanages, hospitals, rehabilitation centres and the homes of HIV/AIDS patients.
Youths Organization has been established with these key focuses in mind:
1 To work with Kenyan and international volunteers of all ages and from all walks of life (don’t be misled by our name – our volunteers are not just young people but people in their 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s!).
2 To reduce the dependency syndrome and help Kenyans become self-sufficient.
3 To give volunteers a rewarding volunteer experience (NOT a boring one), working on the ground, with people in need.
4 To provide financial support to the programmes that volunteers work with while in Kenya.
5 To ensure that our community, government, private sector, public sector, churches, other volunteer organizations and all of our volunteers world wide can work together in a collaborative, positive and open environment with a view to improving living standards in Kenya.
Put simply, if you are considering volunteering in Africa, then Youths Organization can offer you a fully supported grass roots experience that enables you to volunteer (and help) those most in need in Kenya.
Youths organization's aims are tailored to address the social problems facing the community starting from the most urgent to the least urgent.We are committed to excellence and offer the best volunteer positions to the level best of our ability.
All volunteers intending to volunteer with us are expected to carry themselves in a manner that the community can pick the positive characteristics that when implemented can stir a positive impact leading to the alleviation of poverty and human suffering.
1. Our programmes are “grass-roots” in that volunteers’ day to day activities are carried out on the ground, in the midst of the community, and amongst local people. You will have the opportunity to volunteer with a number of local community based organizations and personnel, including orphanages, churches, home based care workers, social workers, hospitals, heath centre dispensaries, community centres and schools.
2. We are a non profit organization. The fees that you pay cover the expenses we incur by having you here and donations to our programmes.
3. The management of Youths Organization has established a Volunteers Committee (comprised of 4 former volunteers). The committee works closely with management to advise on issues affecting the organization and volunteers. The focus of the committee is to represent the wishes of past, present and future volunteers in key decisions made by the organization. The committee also helps with complaints and queries from volunteers. We believe a robust quality assurance programme is important to operate a successful volunteer organization - hopefully this will give you confidence that you will be well looked after by Youths Organization.
4. We operate a robust quality assurance programme. All of our home stays are assessed in accordance with a rigorous check-list of minimum standards that we require (covering cleanliness, location, home facilities, fluency in English and number of people in the home for example). Also, each programme that we offer has been assessed (in person) by 2 members of Youths Organization, including at least 1 member of our Volunteer Committee. These assessors have made sure that the programmes offered are genuine so that volunteer time will not be wasted. As already noted, we have also established a Volunteers Committee to work closely with management to advise on issues affecting the organization and volunteers.
5. You will not be bored and you will not be sitting in an office far away from those that need your help. The volunteer work that you perform will be meaningful – so will your experience with us.
6. Our programmes provide assistance to those in need in a manner that encourages them to become self sustaining (our greatest desire is that those that we help will eventually be able to help themselves and others). If you volunteer with us, you will be working on projects that will enable Kenyans to help themselves well after your departure from Kenya.
The project is one of a kind that involves creativity and promotes personal discovery.